Ex-detainee project internship/volunteer role.
We are advertising for an enthusiastic, committed and reliable person to volunteer for our Ex-Detainee Project. The role is to assist with contacting existing ex-detainees by telephone to check on their welfare and update any changes in circumstances onto a client record database. The role would, on occasion, also be to cover the Ex-Detainee helpline when caseworkers are unavailable. The person would be required to attend on a weekly basis- hours and times can be agreed. If asked to cover the telephone helpline, at least two weeks’ notice would be given to you.
Ultimately, we need someone who is self-motivated, mature, has a good telephone manner and confidence in speaking to people in a reassuring manner. There will be some administrative tasks, such as entering information after a telephone call onto our database, but there is also the opportunity to gain real, hands-on experience of working in a small, independent non-governmental organization.
The Intern/volunteer must:
- Be committed to ensuring the rights of migrants;
- Have an interest in human rights issues;
- Have excellent communication skills;
- Have an excellent telephone manner;
- Be computer literate;
- Be able to adhere to Samphire’s confidentiality and privacy policies.
The Ex-Detainee Project will:
- Provide training and give an insight into the workings of an NGO;
- Provide experience of working in an office environment;
- Give hands-on, client-based experience;
- Provide opportunities to pursue individual skills and interests where possible;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses;
- Provide references as appropriate.