Volunteer: Post Detention Support Project Intern/Volunteer
The Post Detention Support Project facilitates the integration and ease the effects of destitution on ex-detainees (nationwide) who have very limited or no support from the government, and to challenge attitudes towards migrants by raising awareness about immigration and indefinite detention in the UK.
Post Detention Support Project internship/volunteer role
We need an enthusiastic, committed and reliable person for our Post Detention Support Project, particularly to assist with contacting existing ex-detainees by telephone to check on their welfare and identify any needs they may have from our project. We are looking for a minimum commitment of 8-10 hours per week for a 4 week period (would prefer 2 afternoons a week, days can be flexible).
Ultimately, we need someone who is self-motivated, has a good telephone manner and confident in speaking to people in a reassuring manner. There will be some administrative tasks, such as entering information after a telephone call onto our database, but there is also the opportunity to gain real, hands-on experience of working in a small, independent non-governmental organisation.
The Intern/volunteer must:
- Be committed to ensuring the rights of migrants;
- Have an interest in human rights issues, particularly destitution and immigration;
- Have excellent communication skills;
- Have an excellent telephone manner;
- Be computer literate;
- Be able to adhere to Samphire’s confidentiality and privacy polices.
The Post Detention Support Project will:
- Provide training on our project and give an insight into the workings of a small NGO;
- Provide experience of working in an office environment;
- Give hands-on, client based experience;
- Provide opportunities to pursue individual skills and interests where possible;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses;
- Provide references as appropriate.
The post holder will be based at Samphire’s offices in Dover.
Please email email@example.com if you would like more information and to request the application form.