Volunteer Treasurer: Samphire Board of Trustees
We are looking for a committed volunteer to join our Board of Trustees in September when our current treasurer steps down, after many years as a valued member of the Board. The role involves a commitment of 3-4 hours per month, both at home and in our Dover office, as well as attendance at our quarterly Trustee meetings.
Samphire’s mission is to improve the lives of people released from immigration detention and experiencing destitution in the UK, and to support the development of well-informed, cohesive and diverse communities in the Dover area and beyond
To support the Board of Trustees through accurate and robust reporting on the financial health of the organisation. To advise the Board of Trustees on relevant legislation regarding charity finance regulation and promote continuous improvement in financial policies, procedures and processes. To ensure our annual accounts are submitted in a timely fashion and support the Finance and Office Manager to ensure all processes are managed correctly.
Primary Duties and responsibilities
- Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
- Liaise with relevant staff, committee members and/or volunteers to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
- Make fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
- Regularly report the financial position at committee meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc.).
- Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, ie:
- Cheque signatories
- Purchasing limits
- Purchasing systems
- Petty cash/ float
- Salary payments
- PAYE and NI payments
- Others as appropriate
- Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
- Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors/an independent examiner.
Relevant accounting degree or equivalent.
5 years or more in a relevant role, paid or voluntary
The role is both home and office based with an expected 3-4 hours per month commitment.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and a covering letter stating why you wish to be Treasurer for Samphire, to: Brenda@samphireproject.org.uk . The deadline for submission is Friday 22nd August. Interviews with the Chair and outgoing Treasurer will be held in early September, in time for election at our AGM on 26th September 2019.